Part-Time Job Opportunity: Reporter, Latin America Advisor
Reporter, Latin America Advisor
Editor, Latin America Advisor
A Washington-based think tank, the Inter-American Dialogue engages our network of global leaders to foster democratic governance, prosperity and social equity in Latin America and the Caribbean. Together, we work to shape policy debate, devise solutions and enhance cooperation within the Western Hemisphere. Eighteen members of the Dialogue have served as presidents of their countries, and more than three dozen have served at the cabinet level. For consecutive years, the University of Pennsylvania has ranked the Dialogue among the top 2 percent of U.S. think tanks. London’s Prospect Magazine recently named the Dialogue “U.S. Think Tank of the Year.”
We are looking for a Reporter for the Latin America Advisor to assist in the editorial production and dissemination of the Dialogue’s daily publication, as well as the weekly Energy Advisor and biweekly Financial Services Advisor.
This is a part-time and temporary position (20 hours per week from this December until May 2022).
The Latin America Advisor is the Inter-American Dialogue’s daily flagship publication. Focusing on the Western Hemisphere’s most pressing economic, political and business issues, the publications are targeted to informed CEOs and leaders invested in Latin America’s future. Many of the world’s most respected and fastest-growing companies subscribe, including Apple, BMW, BlackRock, Mitsubishi and Oracle, as well as leading universities such as Dartmouth, Harvard, Notre Dame and UC Berkeley, and government agencies spanning four continents.
- Identify and secure original commentaries from senior-level business leaders, economists, policy analysts, academics and government officials for the publication’s daily Q&A feature
- Maintain, expand and diversify a contact database of editorial sources
- Work with the editorial team to plan content
- Copyedit and proofread written material
- Translate content from Spanish and sometimes Portuguese into English
- Assist in the publication’s distribution, which includes posting content on the Dialogue’s website and the use of social media to expand the publication’s reach
- Cover events pertaining to Latin America and the Caribbean and write related articles
- Write stories on breaking news as required and take assignments to cover a wide range of business, economic and political issues
- Develop ideas for features and in-depth analysis articles on issues of interest to readers
- Help in the production and dissemination of the Advisor’s monthly video interviews
- This is an entry-level position for an individual with a demonstrated interest in journalism and in business, economic and political issues, specifically relating to Latin America and the Caribbean
- Fluency in Spanish is required; time spent living in Latin America and/or the Caribbean is a plus
- Must have strong writing skills—preferably news writing—and be effective in interviewing senior executives and government officials in person, via email and over the phone
- Must follow and have a broad understanding of news developments in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Skilled at quick-turnaround research and writing assignments with good news judgment
- Proficiency with desktop publishing (InDesign) and HTML (MailChimp), as well as video production software such as Adobe Premiere Pro, would be a plus
Successful candidates will have the ability to work autonomously with minimal direct supervision, be reliable and highly organized, as well as have superior attention to details and the ability to produce quality work while meeting deadlines. Other requirements include a bachelor’s degree, experience writing, copyediting and proofreading, and adeptness at Internet research, using email, social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Blogs) and Microsoft and Adobe products. Candidates in the Washington, DC area are preferred, but candidates outside the area, working remotely, will be considered.
For consideration, please submit your resume, a cover letter and two writing samples in English to firstname.lastname@example.org, and indicate the position and last name in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Position will be open until filled.
The Inter-American Dialogue is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.