Job Opportunity: President
Board of Directors
The Inter-American Dialogue seeks a mission-driven and experienced leader to shape an independent, non-governmental organization with a four-decade track record promoting hemispheric cooperation. The President should be skilled in developing and executing a strategic vision and guiding, motivating, and supporting a high-performing and resourceful staff passionate about Latin America and the Caribbean. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President will be based in Washington, DC and have overall management responsibility for sustaining and steering an impactful organization with 25+ employees and 120+ members.
Throughout its history, the Dialogue has demonstrated an ability to set and shape a hemispheric agenda, drawing on a diverse and influential membership from government, civil society, academia, and the private sector from and beyond the Americas. The Dialogue conducts rigorous analysis of the hemisphere’s most pressing challenges and generates ideas and realistic solutions to address them. This leadership position is responsible for overseeing the administration, fundraising, programs, and strategic plan of the organization.
This position calls for a dynamic, innovative leader who has deep knowledge, connections, and appreciation of Latin America and the Caribbean and is committed to strengthening hemispheric relations and advancing democratic governance, the rule of law, social equity, and economic prosperity in the Americas. The President should have a proven ability to engage different constituencies and encourage collegiality within a multi-generational team of talented and diverse individuals from multiple countries and backgrounds. The President leads the development and implementation of annual priorities and strategies for advancing the Dialogue’s goals and vision.
- With support from the Dialogue’s senior staff, collaborate with the Board of Directors to lead the development of short and long-term strategies for achieving the organization’s mission;
- Report to the Board of Directors to determine if the organization is achieving its set goals and plans;
- Approve the organization’s operational procedures, policies, and standards;
- Identify, recruit, and develop a talented team of employees;
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence;
- Help shape the organizational culture and promote transparency and collaboration throughout the organization;
- Actively engage stakeholders including board members, members, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
OUTREACH & REPRESENTATION
- Develop and research ideas for meetings and public events, including relevant topics, potential speakers, and structure of events;
- Oversee planning, agenda development, speaker and topic selection for annual CAF Conference, the largest Latin America policy conference in Washington, DC;
- Oversee planning, agenda development, speaker and topic selection for the biennial convening of Dialogue members at the Linowitz Forum;
- Act as the face of the Dialogue’s Congressional Program;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key policy leaders outside of the organization;
- Promote the Dialogue through written articles and personal appearances at conferences and on radio and television;
- Respond to frequent media interview requests, including television, radio, and print media;
- Brief public officials, civil society representatives, and relevant private sector leaders throughout the Americas;
- Maintain and expand a broad network of contacts from civil society, academia, media, business, and political circles in the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Canada.
RESEARCH & WRITING
- Conduct original research, synthesizing and analyzing existing research;
- Assist with drafting, fact-checking, proofreading, and editing of blogs, op-eds, journal articles, and other written materials;
- Produce the biennial Linowitz Forum report.
- Build a fundraising network using personal contacts, direct mail, special events, private meetings, and others;
- Oversee fundraising for the ongoing operations of the Dialogue.
- Oversee staff within the organization;
- Provide ongoing supervision and feedback to support staff professional development and growth;
- Evaluate the performance of staff for compliance with established policies and objectives;
- Participate in final-round interviews and decision-making for hiring new Dialogue employees;
- Oversee all Dialogue financial matters.
The President will be thoroughly committed to the Inter-American Dialogue’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership and relationship management experience.
Specific requirements include:
- Relevant, advanced degree, with at least 15 years of senior management experience;
- Track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance-based organization and staff;
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth;
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs;
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget;
- Fluency in both English and Spanish (Portuguese is a plus);
- Deep networks in Latin America and the Caribbean and the United States;
- Credibility as a thought leader on foreign policy in Latin America and the Caribbean and the United States;
- Ability to operate and engage with Latin America and the Caribbean governments and the US government on foreign policy issues;
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships;
- Strong public relations and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; sharp political analyst; a persuasive and passionate communicator;
- Excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills;
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to program and financial planning;
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people;
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.Familiarity with current technologies – event and email platforms, digital channels, others.
For consideration, please submit your resume, a cover letter, two writing samples in English, and two writing samples in Spanish to [email protected] and indicate the position and last name in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Position will be open until filled.
The Inter-American Dialogue is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.