Job Opportunity: President
Board of Directors
The Inter-American Dialogue seeks a mission-driven and experienced leader to shape an independent, non-governmental organization with a four-decade track record promoting hemispheric cooperation. The President should be skilled in developing and executing a strategic vision and guiding, motivating, and supporting a high-performing and resourceful staff passionate about Latin America and the Caribbean. The President is responsible for long-term sustainable growth of the organization and for advancing the Dialogue’s position as the preeminent research and policy institution specializing in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The President will have ultimate responsibility for the Dialogue’s programs, functions and fundraising and will strategically direct the Dialogue in realizing its vision. The President will also serve as the Dialogue’s external spokesperson and ambassador, representing the Dialogue’s interests across key stakeholders, including U.S. government, governments across the region, the media, academia, and the corporate sector.
The successful candidate will have significant credibility and experience in foreign policy, with specific expertise in Latin America and the Caribbean. This position calls for a dynamic, innovative leader who has deep knowledge, connections, and appreciation of Latin America and the Caribbean and is committed to strengthening hemispheric relations and advancing democratic governance, the rule of law, social equity, and economic prosperity in the Americas. The President should have a proven ability to engage different constituencies and encourage collegiality within a multi-generational team of talented and diverse individuals from multiple countries and backgrounds. The President leads the development and implementation of annual priorities and strategies for advancing the Dialogue’s goals and vision.
- With support from the Dialogue’s senior staff, the President will collaborate with the Board of Directors to lead the development of short and long-term strategies for achieving the organization’s
- Approve the organization’s operational procedures, policies, and standards;
- Identify, recruit, and develop a talented team of employees;
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence;
- Help shape the organizational culture and promote transparency and collaboration throughout the organization;
- Actively engage stakeholders including board members, members, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
OUTREACH & REPRESENTATION
- Develop and research ideas for meetings and public events, including relevant topics, potential speakers, and structure of events;
- Oversee planning, agenda development, speaker and topic selection for annual CAF Conference, the largest Latin America policy conference in Washington, DC;
- Oversee planning, agenda development, speaker and topic selection for the biennial convening of Dialogue members at the Linowitz Forum;
- Act as the face of the Dialogue’s Congressional Program;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key policy leaders outside of the organization;
- Promote the Dialogue through written articles and personal appearances at conferences and on radio and television;
- Respond to frequent media interview requests, including television, radio, and print media;
- Brief public officials, civil society representatives, and relevant private sector leaders throughout the Americas;
- Maintain and expand a broad network of contacts from civil society, academia, media, business, and political circles in the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Canada.
RESEARCH & WRITING
- Conduct original research, synthesizing and analyzing existing research;
- Assist with drafting, fact-checking, proofreading, and editing of blogs, op-eds, journal articles, and other written materials;
- Produce the biennial Linowitz Forum report.
- Build a fundraising network using personal contacts, direct mail, special events, private meetings, and others;
- Develop a constituency that extends beyond the current donor base, to include foundation, corporate and individual donors;
- Oversee fundraising for the ongoing operations of the Dialogue.
- Oversee staff within the organization;
- Provide ongoing supervision and feedback to support staff professional development and growth;
- Evaluate the performance of staff for compliance with established policies and objectives;
- Participate in final-round interviews and decision-making for hiring new Dialogue employees;
- Oversee all Dialogue financial matters.
PIVOTAL EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE:
REGIONAL FOREIGN AND PUBLIC POLICY EXPERTISE
- Demonstrates leadership, expertise and credibility in foreign policy, public affairs and geopolitics, with a specific focus on the Western Hemisphere.
- International relations and public policy background either through academic research or government/diplomatic service.
- Deep network with key government and foreign policy decision makers in Latin America, the Caribbean, Canada and the U.S.
- Ability to operate and engage with Latin American and the Caribbean governments and the U.S. government on foreign policy issues.
- Ability to develop and implement strategies to shape the Dialogue as a think tank of the future, positioned as the preeminent institution dedicated to Latin American and the Caribbean.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to program and financial planning.
- Ability to articulate a vision and strategic priorities for the organization.
- Track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance-based organization and staff.
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Ability to build a diverse and inclusive environment within the Dialogue’s workforce and programming.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs.
- A clear understanding of strategies and policies surrounding the application for grants and development of relationships with potential donors while establishing plans to create funding alternatives that are credible, well-planned, and strictly managed.
- Proven track record in development of new business models and revenue streams, including knowledge of financial development, preferably within a not-for-profit organization.
EXTERNAL STAKEHOLDER MANAGEMENT
- Ability to convene and effectively engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; sharp political analysis; a persuasive and passionate communicator.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Fluency in both English and Spanish (Portuguese is a plus).
Mission-Orientation: Thoroughly committed to the Inter-American Dialogue’s mission to foster democratic governance, prosperity, social equity, and sustainability in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Entrepreneurial Leadership: Entrepreneurial spirit. Encouraging people to innovate, create and be open to change.
Collaborative: Excellent judgment of people and situations; demonstrated experience collaborating across an integrated, interdisciplinary team of professionals leading through influence and example rather than hierarchy.
Inclusive Approach: Leads with values aligned with equity and inclusion in climate, culture and content of work. Considers a range of ideas and seeks a diverse set of input in order to guide the organization and to make decisions.
The President will be thoroughly committed to the Inter-American Dialogue’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership and relationship management experience.
Specific requirements include:
- Relevant, advanced degree, with at least 15 years of senior management experience;
- Track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance-based organization and staff;
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth;
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs;
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget;
- Fluency in both English and Spanish (Portuguese is a plus);
- Deep networks in Latin America and the Caribbean and the United States;
- Credibility as a thought leader on foreign policy in Latin America and the Caribbean and the United States;
- Ability to operate and engage with Latin America and the Caribbean governments and the US government on foreign policy issues;
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships;
- Strong public relations and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; sharp political analyst; a persuasive and passionate communicator;
- Excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills;
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to program and financial planning;
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people;
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.Familiarity with current technologies – event and email platforms, digital channels, others.
For consideration, please submit your resume, a cover letter, two writing samples in English, and two writing samples in Spanish to email@example.com and indicate the position and last name in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Position will be open until filled.
The Inter-American Dialogue is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.