Job Opportunity: Director of Development
TITLE: Director of Development
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
The Inter-American Dialogue is seeking an experienced, entrepreneurial, and results-oriented professional to join its senior leadership team as Director of Development.
The director will be responsible for designing and implementing a comprehensive, multi-year fundraising strategy to enhance support from individuals, corporations, and foundations in the United States, Latin America, and the Caribbean. They will work closely with the organization’s president and other key stakeholders to strengthen existing fundraising programs/initiatives and launch new campaigns to significantly enhance revenue. The successful candidate will be an innovative and proactive fundraiser who can identify sources of opportunities for support. They work with new, existing, and prospective donors for successful solicitation, and close major gifts at the individual, corporate, and foundation levels. The director is also expected to provide program staff with support in meeting revenue goals.
- Craft and direct the implementation of comprehensive long and short-term fundraising strategies to build the Dialogue’s donor base and increase support from individuals, corporations, foundations, and government agencies
- Manage and grow a portfolio of individual major gifts (qualified by annual contribution of USD $25,000+)
- Oversee planning and execution of all events designed to steward existing donors and engage new constituents, including biannual President’s Leadership Council meetings and the annual Leadership for the Americas Awards Gala
- Work closely with the Dialogue’s Corporate Program to identify new donors and to develop a strategy for enhancing engagement and stewardship of existing donors
- Initiate and lead innovative campaigns to identify new revenue streams for the acceleration of organizational growth (i.e., naming opportunities, planned giving, etc.)
- Prepare reports, briefings, and talking points for strategic fundraising meetings between the organization’s president & CEO, members of its Board of Directors, senior leadership, and prospective donors, and participate in meetings as needed
- Draft, review, and edit proposals for corporate and foundation support
- Work directly with the director of finance and administration to ensure that budget objectives and plan goals align with revenue streams, projections, and timelines
- Maintain accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding sources
- Support program staff in identifying, engaging, and stewarding new and existing donors
- Serve as an integral member of the senior leadership team
- Other duties as assigned by the president & CEO
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree or professional certification preferred
- 8-10 years of relevant experience
- Track record of success in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gifts across individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Prior experience in proposal writing for corporations and foundations
- Demonstrated success in the development and oversight of budgets
- Experience organizing and managing high-level meetings for major donors/top executives as well as large-scale events with significant fundraising goals
- Excellent verbal and written skills to effectively communicate with donors and craft powerful and compelling cases for support
- Background in leading professional staff teams
- Knowledge of fundraising analytics and fundraising software (i.e., donor databases)
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects to effective and timely outcomes
- Experience working with international and Latin American companies/executives or experience in the foreign affairs/policy highly desirable
- Fluency in both Spanish and English (Portuguese is a plus)
For consideration, please submit your resume, a cover letter, and brief writing samples in Spanish and English to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter please include how you heard about this position. Indicate the position and your last name in the subject line. This position is open immediately, please submit your application as soon as possible. No phone calls, please.
A Washington-based think tank, the Inter-American Dialogue engages our network of global leaders to foster democratic governance, prosperity, and social equity in Latin America and the Caribbean. Together, we work to shape policy debate, devise solutions, and enhance cooperation within the Western Hemisphere.
The Inter-American Dialogue is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.