Job Opportunity: Development Associate
TITLE: Development Associate
REPORTS TO: Director, Development & Partnerships
The Inter-American Dialogue is seeking a Development Associate to join the Development team, supporting fundraising, donor communications, special events, and database management. Strong candidates will have experience in fundraising and/or database management. Experience in event management is a plus.
This opportunity allows a highly organized individual to join a collaborative team focused on democratic governance, prosperity, and social equity in Latin America and the Caribbean, while honing their skills in fundraising and related activities. The successful candidate will excel in a fast-paced environment and have excellent communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills and the ability to perform effectively in both English and Spanish (with Portuguese as a plus).
50% FUNDRAISING, DATABASE MANAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT OPERATIONS
- Strengthen donor relations by optimizing efficient use of the database, tracking engagement and producing reports. Experience with Raiser’s Edge (or similar) preferred.
- Invoice supporters and collect pledge payments, sending timely gift acknowledgments.
- Maintain donor pipeline, scheduling regular coordination calls with colleagues to monitor progress.
- Lead on prospect research and prepare briefs for donor meetings (current & prospective).
- Participate in grant writing, in partnership with Development and Program teams.
- Track progress toward fundraising goals for quarterly team review.
- Compile periodic analyses of donor trends and opportunities.
- Provide general administrative support for timesheets, expense reports, and vendor contracts.
25% EVENT MANAGEMENT
- Schedule key meeting dates – including the annual Gala and President’s Leadership Council meetings – and manage related logistics, including venue selection and vendor relations.
- Create custom invite lists, using database codes to segment target audiences and track responses.
- Provide support for virtual, hybrid, and in-person events.
25% COMMUNICATION SUPPORT
- Track and generate donor communications.
- Update and oversee production of promotional materials, including 40th anniversary campaign.
- Support Communications lead with newsletters, social media, and annual report, as able.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required with at least 1-3 years of experience in fundraising or related.
- Strong IT skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with database management – Raiser’s Edge or similar preferred.
- Ability to work with a team and independently.
- Track-record with problem-solving and managing deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and diplomacy to deal with VIPs.
- Detail oriented and discreet in managing confidential information.
- Highly organized; track record of project management a plus.
- Strong language skills in Spanish and English required, with Portuguese a plus.
For consideration, please submit the following documents in ONE email to firstname.lastname@example.org: your resume, a cover letter, one writing sample in English, and one in Spanish. In your cover letter please include how you heard about this position. Please indicate your last name and the position for which you are applying in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Position will be open until filled.
A Washington-based think tank, the Inter-American Dialogue engages our network of global leaders to foster democratic governance, prosperity, and social equity in Latin America and the Caribbean. Together, we work to shape policy debate, devise solutions, and enhance cooperation within the Western Hemisphere. Eighteen Dialogue members served as presidents of their countries, and over three dozen have served at the cabinet level. Its 100 members from the United States, Canada, and Latin America include former presidents, prominent political, business, labor, academic, media, military, and religious leaders.
The Inter-American Dialogue is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.