Job Opportunity: Program Assistant, Peter D. Bell Rule of Law Program
Title: Program Assistant, Peter D. Bell Rule of Law Program
Reports to: Program Director, Peter D. Bell Rule of Law Program
The Inter-American Dialogue—a leading center for policy analysis and exchange on Western Hemisphere affairs, based in Washington, DC—is recruiting a Program Assistant to work with the Dialogue’s Peter D. Bell Rule of Law program. S/he will have initiative, excellent analytical and organizational skills, and the ability to communicate effectively in both English and Spanish.
The Peter D. Bell Program seeks to advance the regional policy agenda through its highly regarded analysis on democracy and human rights, transparency and anti-corruption, and citizen security in the Americas. The program assistant position brings a committed individual into contact with leading policymakers and rule of law experts, and provides exposure to cutting-edge issues in the field.
Responsibilities include approximately 40% research, writing, and editing; 30% event planning; and 30% administrative and logistical support. This is an entry-level position.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide research support for specific projects and presentations regarding rule of law issues in the Americas. Carry out independent analytical work on a selective basis.
- Write and contribute to reports, articles, op-eds, and blog posts.
- Manage the logistics of public events, conferences, delegations and ad hoc meetings, including drafting event invitations and making travel and lodging arrangements.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to program director.
- Oversee editing, translation, design, and publication of program reports, memos, press releases, and other materials.
- Maintain and build program contacts and partnerships.
- Assist with drafting fundraising proposals and reports.
- Oversee the selection and management of the program intern each semester.
- Help manage financial logistics of the program.
- Manage program’s website and social media presence.
- Other responsibilities may include editing, translating, reviewing, summarizing, or drafting documents in English or Spanish, responding to special requests from funders, and summarizing proceedings of program events, as assigned by the director.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, History, Latin American Studies, or related field, with strong academic credentials.
- Excellent analytical and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Experience (1 year preferred) living, working, and/or studying in Latin America.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required, Portuguese a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong IT skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and social media platforms. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Proven capacity to multitask and work independently as well as in a team.
The Inter-American Dialogue is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
For consideration, please submit the following documents in ONE email to email@example.com: your resume, a cover letter, one writing sample in English and one in Spanish. Please indicate your last name and the position for which you are applying in the subject line. No phone calls, please.