Job Opportunity: Program Assistant, Energy, Climate Change and Extractive Industries
TITLE: Program Assistant
REPORTS TO: Director, Energy, Climate Change and Extractive Industries
The Inter-American Dialogue—a leading center for policy analysis and exchange on Western Hemisphere affairs, based in Washington, D.C.—is recruiting a Program Assistant to work with the Dialogue’s Director of Energy, Climate Change and Extractive Industries program. S/he will have initiative, excellent problem-solving skills, and the ability to communicate effectively in both English and Spanish.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Conduct research and analysis on key issues in hemispheric affairs, including energy, climate change and extractive industries.
- Provide research support to the program director for articles, reports, presentations and meetings and occasionally co-author written pieces.
- Assist with the editing, translation, design, and publication of program reports, memos, and other materials.
- Manage the logistics of public events, conferences, delegations and meetings, as required, including drafting event agendas, emailing invitations and making travel and lodging arrangements.
- Oversee the selection and management for the program intern(s) each semester, in collaboration with Dialogue’s intern coordinators.
- Manage director’s presence on social media, including publishing on website, and/or using social media applications such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.
- Collaborate with other program assistants on the Dialogue’s major events.
- Other responsibilities may include editing, commenting on, summarizing, or drafting documents in English or Spanish, responding to special requests from funders, and summarizing proceedings of program events.
- BA degree in International Relations, Political Science and/or Latin American Studies, with strong academic credentials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience (1 year preferred) living, working, and/or studying in Latin America.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required, Portuguese a plus.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Proven capacity to multitask and work independently as well as in a team.
The Inter-American Dialogue is Washington’s leading forum for exchange among opinion leaders of the Western Hemisphere, and an independent, nonpartisan center for policy analysis on economic and political relations in the Americas. Its 100 members from the United States, Canada and Latin America include former presidents, prominent political, business, labor, academic, media, military and religious leaders.
The Inter-American Dialogue is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
For consideration, please submit your resume, a cover letter, one writing sample in English and one in Spanish to email@example.com. Please indicate last name and position for which you apply in subject line. If you prefer you may send the materials by mail to Human Resources, Inter-American Dialogue, and 1155 15th St. NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20005. No phone calls, please.