Job Opportunity: Program Assistant, Peter D. Bell Rule of Law Program
Title: Program Assistant, Peter D. Bell Rule of Law Program
Reports to: Program Director, Peter D. Bell Rule of Law Program
The Inter-American Dialogue—a leading center for policy analysis and exchange on Western Hemisphere affairs, based in Washington, D.C.—is recruiting a Program Assistant to work with the Dialogue’s Peter D. Bell Rule of Law program. S/he will have initiative, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to communicate effectively in both English and Spanish. Responsibilities include approximately 40% research, writing, and editing; 30% event planning; and 30% administrative and logistical support. This is an entry level position.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Conduct research and analysis on rule of law issues in hemispheric affairs, including but not limited to democratic institutions, human rights, citizen security, transparency, anti-corruption mechanisms, judicial systems, elections, inter-American institutions, and US policy towards Latin America.
- Design program outreach strategy, including managing audiences and networks of contacts in Salesforce and Excel.
- Provide research support for specific projects and presentations, as well as carry out independent analytical work on a selective basis.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to program director.
- Write and contribute to reports, articles, op-eds, and blog posts.
- Oversee editing, translation, design, and publication of program reports, memos, press releases, and other materials.
- Assist with drafting project proposals and fundraising strategy.
- Plan and execute 2-4 events per month in Washington, DC and/or cities in Latin America. Manage the logistics of public events, conferences, delegations and ad hoc meetings, as required, including drafting event agendas and making travel and lodging arrangements.
- Oversee the selection and management of the program intern each semester, in collaboration with the program director and the Dialogue’s internship coordinator.
- Help manage financial logistics such as reconciliation of expenditures.
- Manage program’s presence on social media, including publishing on website, and/or using social media applications such as Twitter, Facebook, etc., as needed.
- Other responsibilities may include editing, commenting on, summarizing, or drafting documents in English or Spanish, responding to special requests from funders, and summarizing proceedings of program events, as assigned by the director.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Latin American Studies, or related field, with strong academic credentials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience (1 year preferred) living, working, and/or studying in Latin America.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required, Portuguese a plus.
- Strong conceptual, oral, and written communication skills and attention to detail.
- Strong IT skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office and social media platforms. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and Salesforce a plus.
- Proven capacity to multitask and work independently as well as in a team.
The Inter-American Dialogue is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
For consideration, please submit your resume, a cover letter, one writing sample in English and one in Spanish to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate your last name and the position for which you are applying in the subject line. If you prefer, you may send the materials by fax or mail to Human Resources, Inter-American Dialogue, 1155 15th Street NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20005. Fax: (202) 822-9553. No phone calls, please.