11th Sol M. Linowitz Forum
June 22-24, 2017
The Sol M. Linowitz Forum brings together in Washington about half of the Dialogue’s 120 members once every two years for an extended discussion of the most pressing issues in hemispheric affairs.
This will be the 11th meeting of the forum, which was inaugurated in 1996 to honor our founding chairman, and the 20th time that Dialogue members have met in plenary session.
Additional background readings include the following:
- David Dollar, “China’s Investment in Latin America,” the Brookings Institution, January 2017.
Democracy and Rule of Law
- Michael Shifter, “Venezuela’s Bad Neighbor Policy,” Foreign Affairs, May 2017
- Amanda Taub, “Brazil’s Crisis: How Fighting Corruption Could Imperil Political Stability,” The New York Times, May 2017.
- Philip Gunson, “Venezuela: A Blueprint for Strife,” International Crisis Group, May 2017.
- Sergio Bitar, “Los desafíos de la democracia en América Latina. Como gobernar mejor,” Acceptance speech for Guillermo O’Donnell Democracy Award and Lectureship at Latin American Studies Association (LASA) in Lima, April 2017.
- This piece is also available in English here.
- Michael Shifter, “U.S. pressure on Venezuela could backfire,” Washington Post, April 2017.
- Thomas Carothers and Richard Youngs, “Democracy is Not Dying,” Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, April 2017.
- “Latin American Economic Outlook 2017: Youth, Skills and Entrepreneurship,” OECD/CAF/ECLAC, October 2016.
- Lisa Viscidi, “El retiro de Estados Unidos del Acuerdo de París podría ser devastador para América Latina,” New York Times, June 2017.
- Lisa Viscidi and Rebecca O’Connor, “US-Latin America Energy Investment: Proposals for Policy Engagement,” Inter-American Dialogue, May 2017.
- Lisa Viscidi and Rebecca O’Connor, “Trump and Latin American Energy: The Costs of Cutting Ties,” Foreign Affairs, February 24, 2017.
- Manuel Orozco, “Trump, Immigration Policy and the Fate of Latino Migrants in the United States,” Inter-American Dialogue, January 2017.
US-LAC Relations Under Trump
- Peter Hakim “How to Turn Mexico into an Adversary,” Inter-American Dialogue, March 2017
- Uri Dadush, “NAFTA in Play. How President Trump Could Reshape Trade in North America,” Economics Working Paper, Inter-American Dialogue, February 2017.
- Michael Shifter and Ben Raderstorf, “By Escalating tensions with Mexico Donald Trump is playing with fire,” New York Daily News, January 2017.
- Peter Hakim, “Uneasy Cuba,” Inter-American Dialogue, January 2017.
- Michael Shifter, “Donald Trump y los desafíos latinoamericanos,” New York Times, January 2017.
- Abraham F. Lowenthal, “Latin America and Donald Trump,” The American Interest,” December 30, 2016.