HAITI: THE ROLE OF THE PRIVATE SECTOR
THE WILLSON HOUSE PROCESS
Starting in September 2005, FOCAL and the Inter-American Dialogue convened a series of groundbreaking meetings between leaders of the Haitian private sector and international donors at Willson House on Meech Lake near Canada’s capital city, in Atlanta and in Port-au-Prince. These meetings were a unique attempt to harness some of the ideas and energy of the one sector in Haiti with the resources, skills and capacity to reduce poverty from within and to help build capacity for development in Haiti through formalization, modernization, privatization and decentralization in a variety of sectors.
In May 2011, leaders of the principal private enterprises and private sector associations of Haiti and international donors convened in Washington, D.C. for a roundtable meeting on the role of the Haitian private sector in the development of Haiti. The key ideas that emerged from the discussions are detailed in the report, Agenda for an États généraux in Haiti: Third Roundtable of the Willson House Process.
MORE ON THIS PROJECT
The Dialogue’s Caribbean Region Program focuses on Cuba, Haiti, and the Anglophone Caribbean.
The Dialogue’s work on Cuba aims to establish connections between Cuba’s economic community and international financial institutions. The Working Group on the Cuban Economy regularly brings together some 25 experts from the region to discuss Cuba’s prospects for increased integration with the IFIs. The Dialogue project on Cuba and the Organization of American States facilitated a thorough review of US policy towards Cuba under the Obama administration and Latin America’s stance toward Cuba during the same period.
The Dialogue has long sustained an active program on Haiti including publications and discussions on political and economic developments and US policy. Our recent work on Haiti has focused on engaging with the private sector.
The Caribbean Program also offers a forum for leaders from the Anglophone Caribbean to bring important policy attention to the issues of concern to that region.
Michael Shifter, President
Peter Hakim, President Emeritus
Joan Caivano, Deputy to the President
Kim Covington, Program Associate
For more information, contact Kim Covington at email@example.com or (202) 463-2938.
ARTICLES & OP-EDS | PUBLICATIONS | EVENTS | INTERVIEWS
CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY | IN THE PRESS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS
ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- What Will a New Generation of Leadership Mean for Cuba? By Peter Hakim, Stephen Wilkinson, Kirby Jones, Latin America Advisor, March 6, 2013.
- A Special Report from Progreso Weekly on Cardinal Ortega, by Aurelio Alonso, Oscar Espinosa Chepe, Carmelo Mesa Lago, Arturo López-Levy, Peter Hakim, Julia Sweig, Progreso Weekly, June 4, 2012.
- Economic vs. Political Change in Cuba, by Jorge Domínguez, The New York Times, March 28, 2012.
- Dilma in Cuba, by Peter Hakim, O Estado de S. Paulo, February, 18, 2012.
- Lecciones de la visita de Dilma a Cuba, by Peter Hakim, Infolatam, February 8, 2012.
- Does Brazil's Rousseff Care Enough About Cuban Democracy?, by Peter Hakim, Lino Gutierrez, Margaret Daly Hayes, Daniel Hellinger, Latin America Advisor, February 8, 2012.
- Cuba-Estados Unidos:¿es posible una relación distinta?, by Carlos Alzugaray Treto, Temas, July-September 2011. Review of Dan Erikson's book The Cuba Wars: Fidel Castro, the United States and the Next Revolution.
MORE PROGRAM ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- A Scorecard in the Market for Money Transfers: Trends in Competition in Latin America and the Caribbean, by Manuel Orozco, Elisabeth Burgess, and Landen Romei, June 18, 2010 (Spanish).
- Skilled Diasporas: an imagined or real community?, by Manuel Orozco and Mariellen Jewers, April 30, 2010.
- L’Éducation en Haïti: La Voie du Progrès, by Laurence Wolff, PREAL, May 1, 2009 (English).
- La República Dominicana: Una democracia para vivir mejor, by Pedro Wilfredo Lozano, May 1, 2009.
- The Cuba Wars: Fidel Castro, the United States and the Next Revolution, by Daniel P. Erikson, Bloomsbury, 2008.
- Transforming Socialist Economies: Lessons for Cuba and Beyond, ed. Shahid Javed Burki and Daniel P. Erikson, Palgrave Macmillan, 2005.
MORE PROGRAM PUBLICATIONS
MORE PROGRAM CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONIES
- Haiti, Looking Ahead, Mariano Fernández, March 9, 2012.
- Cuba: The Politics of Transition, Rafael Hernández, November 22, 2011.
- The Cuban Diaspora in the 21st Century, Jorge Dominguez, Guillermo Grenier, Orlando Marquez, Uva de Aragón, Jorge Duany, Antonio Blanco, October 7, 2011.
- Cuba 1.5? The State of the Internet and Uses of Social Media in a Changing Cuba, August 3, 2011.
- Will Economic Change Threaten Cuba's Education Success?, May 9, 2011.
- Linking Economic Reforms and Micro-Rntrepreneurship Among Remittances Recipients in Cuba, May 2, 2011.
- The United States and Cuba: Intimate Enemies, March 17, 2011.
- The State of the Cuban Economy, March 11, 2011.
- A Discussion on the Cuban Economy, December 14, 2011.
MORE PROGRAM EVENTS
- Peter Hakim: "EE.UU. ha hecho gestos, pero no un cambio en el énfasis a la región," Interview with Peter Hakim, La Tercera, June 1, 2013.
- Elecciones en EEUU: No vienen cambios para AL, Michael Shifter in Confidencial, November 1, 2012.
- En Cuba la Iglesia puede ser un actor en cualquier cambio, Interview with Michael Shifter, La Prensa Gráfica, January 8, 2012.
- Los cambios en Cuba se están dando lentamente, Interview with Michael Shifter, El Deber, April 24, 2011.
- Menos restricciones a Cuba, Interview with Michael Shifter, CNN en Español, January 17, 2011.
- Haitian Money Trail, Interview with Daniel Erikson, CNN en Español, February 11, 2010.
- Cuba: Past, Present, and Future, Interview with Daniel Erikson, National Public Radio, January 12, 1009.
MORE PROGRAM INTERVIEWS
IN THE PRESS
- Cuba’s New Envoy to U.S. Keeps Expectations Low, Dialogue event in The Washington Diplomat, May 30, 2013.
- Media focused on dissident instead of Beyonce, Cuban official laments, Dialogue event in Reuters, April 19, 2013.
- Cuba Is a Regional Player, says diplomat, Dialogue event in Havana Times, April 5, 2013.
- Obama administration tepid on end to Castro reign, Michael Shifter in The Washington Times, February 25, 2013.
- Cuba tras Raúl Castro: una fecha límite y la duda de la sucesión, Michael Shifter in El Carabobeño, February 25, 2013.
- América Latina abre una puerta a Cuba al darle la presidencia de Celac, Michael Shifter in El Nuevo Herald, January 31, 2013.
- El futuro canciller de EE.UU. quiere más lazos con Caracas, Michael Shifter in El Clarín, January 25, 2013.
- Cuba: New law scraps exit visas, but most Cubans still won't go abroad, Michael Shifter in The Alaska Dispatch, January 15, 2013.
- EEUU, o cuando la política exterior se convierte en algo doméstico, Michael Shifter in MDZ, October 30, 2012.
- No cambiará la relación con EE.UU., Michael Shifter in El Comercio, October 21, 2012.
MORE IN THE PRESS
PARTNERS & SPONSORS