THE MARKET FOR MONEY TRANSFERS: 2012 SCORECARD REPORT
On December 14th, Manuel Orozco presented on the current trends and industry performance in the money transfer market to Latin America and the Caribbean. For the full report, click here.
BOOK RELEASE: América Latina y el Caribe: Desarrollo, migración y remesas
On October 25th, Manuel Orozco released his new book on the role of migration and remittances on development in Latin America and the Caribbean. Read his recent interview in Confidencial for more details.
FUTURE REMITTANCE TRENDS IN LATIN AMERICA
Remittances grew 8 percent from 2010 to 2011, nearly returning to pre-recession levels, according to a recent report released by the Inter-American Dialogue. The Dialogue hosted a panel discussion on Monday, May 7, to discuss the most recent trends in remittances to Latin America and the Caribbean. The discussion was moderated by Michael Shifter, president of the Inter-American Dialogue, with comments from Manuel Orozco, senior associate at the Dialogue and author of the report, Lindsay Lowell from Georgetown University, Daniel Ayala with Wells Fargo, and Eugenio Nigro with the Xoom Corporation. MORE
EDUCATION IN CENTRAL AMERICA
On June 27, Manuel Orozco participated in a regional conference on education hosted by the Pan American Development Foundation in San Salvador. During the conference, Dr. Orozco presented the findings of his 2012 study, “Moving towards a partnership development model between Diasporas and the private sector: experience in education," which analyzed the role of the diaspora and the private sector in educational development projects. MORE
The Remittances and Development program seeks to leverage migrants and remittances for development. The program focuses on policies governing the flow of remittances, private sector financial and remittance services, and financial access for migrants and remittance recipient families. Through research, policy analysis, technical assistance, product development and project implementation, the program has raised awareness and forged partnerships among public and private institutions in over 80 countries around the world. This year, the Remittances and Development Program continues to expand its focus to include migration and development, with research on the impact of informality in Latin American economies, financial education and financial inclusion of remittance senders and recipients, the economic participation of Hometown Associations in countries of origin, diaspora engagement and other transnational activities in which migrants engage.
Manuel Orozco, Program Director
Julia Yansura, Program Associate
Andres Quinche and Alika Nileshwar, Interns
For more information, contact:
Julia Yansura at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 463-2570
PROJECTS | EVENTS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS | IN THE PRESS
ARTICLES & OP-EDS | PUBLICATIONS | CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY
- El mercado de remesas nacionales en México: oportunidades y retos by Manuel Orozco on behalf of Centro de Estudios Migratorios Latinoamericanos (CEMLA), 2012
- Analisis Descriptivo de las Instituciones Responsables de la Gestion de las Politicas Migratorias en Costa Rica y Nicaragua by Manuel Orozco and Beatriz Slooten, December 2011
- Hacia un modelo de Alianzas por el desarrollo con la diáspora y el sector privado: la experiencia en educación by Manuel Orozco and Carola Balbuena, June 2012
- Remittances and Assets: Conceptual, Empirical and Policy Considerations and Tools by Manuel Orozco (UNCTAD publication), June 2012
- Tendencias Futuras de las Remesas en America Latina y el Caribe by Manuel Orozco, May 2012
- Future Trends in Remittances to Latin America and the Caribbean by Manuel Orozco, May 2012
- Las remesas y la migración en la Región Autónoma de la Costa del Caribe de Nicaragua by Manuel Orozco, March 2012
- Assessment and lessons learned from African Diaspora Market Place by Manuel Orozco and Mariellen Jewers, November 2011.
- Estado del Arte en Banca Móvil by Manuel Orozco, June 2011
- Estado del Arte de la Corresponsalía No Bancaria by Manuel Orozco, June 2011
- Partnerships at work: Western Union’s 4+1 experience in Mexico by Manuel Orozco and Katherine Scaife, May 2011.
- A Country Profile on the Gambia: The Marketplace & Financial Access - Prepared for Women’s World Banking by Manuel Orozco, Anjali Banthia and Mariama Ashcroft, October 2011.
- Remittance Recipients and the Present and Future of Micro-Entrepreneurship Activities in Cuba by Manuel Orozco, May 2, 2011.
- Central America, Migration Flows and Remittances by Manuel Orozco, March 2011.
- Competition in Africa’s Remittance Market: Weak Markets and High Costs by Manuel Orozco, November 2010
- The Impact of Regulations Governing Money Transfers to Africa on Competition and Development by Manuel Orozco, November 2010
- Opportunities to Increase Financial Access through Remittances to Africa by Manuel Orozco, November 2010
- A Scorecard in the Market for Money Transfers: Trends in Competition in Latin America and the Caribbean, by Manuel Orozco, Elisabeth Burgess and Landen Romei, June 18, 2010.
- Toward Financial Independence: Financial literacy for Remittance Senders and Recipients, by Nancy Castillo, Landen Romei and Manuel Orozco, June 14, 2010.
- Remittances and Development: Financial Literacy in an International Perspective, by Manuel Orozco, Elisabeth Burgess, Nancy Casillo and Landen Romei, May 6, 2010.
- Skilled Diasporas: An Imagined or Real Community?, by Manuel Orozco and Mariellen Jewers, April 30, 2010.
- Migration, Remittances and Assets in Bangladesh: Considerations About Their Intersection and Development Policy Recommendations, by Manuel Orozco, March 20, 2010.
MORE PROGRAM PUBLICATIONS
ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- Deportaciones como política migratoria, by Manuel Orozco, Confidencial Digital, January 6, 2012
- México, Centroamérica y la política de inmigración en los Estados Unidos, by Manuel Orozco, Confidencial Digital, December 12, 2011
- Tendencias migratorias: caso centroamericano, by Manuel Orozco, Confidencial Digital, November 29, 2011
- Fighting for the Right Community Participation in Latin American Post-Transitional Democracies by Manuel Orozco and Beatriz Slooten, September 2011.
- A Commitment Amidst Shared Hardship: Haitian Transnational Migrants and Remittances, by Manuel Orozco and Elisabeth Burgess, Journal of Black Studies, March 2011.
- Educación financiera y desarrollo: un modelo para Nicaragua, by Manuel Orozco, El Confidencial, January 11, 2011.
- Remittance Transfers in Senegal: Preliminary Findings, Lessons, and Recommendations on its Marketplace and Financial Access Opportunities, Manuel Orozco, Elisabeth Burgess, and Corinne Massardier, International Labour Office, December 1, 2010.
- Continuity and Change: Latinos and U.S. Midterm Elections, by Manuel Orozco and Katherine Scaife, FOCAL Point, November 2010.
- Vulnerabilidad y remesas en el sector rural Mexicano, by Manuel Orozco. Asociación Mexicana de Uniones de Crédito del Sector Social A.C., January 15, 2010.
- Las repercusiones del terremoto sobre las remesas, by Manuel Orozco, América Economía, January 18, 2010.
- The least among us, by Manuel Orozco, Foreign Policy, September 15, 2009.
- Understanding the Continuing Effect of the Economic Crisis on Remittances to Latin America and the Caribbean, by Manuel Orozco, Multilateral Investment Fund of the Inter-American Development Bank, August 10, 2009.
MORE PROGRAM ARTICLES & OPEDS
IN THE PRESS
- Immigrants Pay Lower Fees to Send Money Home, Helping to Ease Poverty, Manuel Orozco in The New York Times, April 27, 2013.
- ¿Qué hay detrás del giro de EEUU hacia Ortega?, Manuel Orozco, Confidencial Digital, February 1, 2012
- Remittances to Latin America on the rise, Manuel Orozco, Marketplace Morning Review, January 12, 2012
- Economist: Still more room to export “nostalgic” products to U.S., Manuel Orozco, Dominican Today, January 12, 2012
- Cash flowing to native lands, Manuel Orozco in Boston Globe, September 20, 2010.
- Haitian Recovery: What's Next?, Interview with Manuel Orozco, WAMU 88.5 FM, February 15, 2010.
- Homeland’s crisis strains Haitian families in region, Manuel Orozco in Boston Globe, February 8, 2010.
- Envío de remesas crecerá en 2010, que será un año difícil para Latinoamérica, Manuel Orozco in EFE, December 9, 2010.
- Money Sent Home by Latin American Expatriates to Drop, Manuel Orozco in Wall Street Journal, August 12, 2009.
MORE ON PROGRAM INITIATIVES
- Discussion of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, with Dialogue senior associate Manuel Orozco, Federal Reserve Boards Representatives Representatives Vivian Wang and Samantha Pelosi, and executives of major money transfer companies, like Viamericas, Wells Fargo, Microfinance International Cooperation, Jamaica National Overseas, among others, July 8, 2011.
- Linking the Economic Reforms and Micro-Entrepreneurship Among Remittances Recipients in Cuba, with dialogue senior associate Manuel Orozco and associate professor of Black and Hispanic Studies at Baruch College (CUNY) Katrin Hansing, May 2, 2011.
- Migration, Remittances, and Technology: Is there a match?, with Dialogue senior associate Manuel Orozco; Eugenio Nigro, vice president of business development in Latin America for Xoom.com, Melissa Koide, policy director for the Center for Financial Services Innovation, and Paloma Monroy of the World Bank, October 29, 2010.
- Remittances Scorecard for Latin America and the Caribbean, with Dialogue senior associate Manuel Orozco, Paul Dwyer, CEO of Viamericas, Paloma Monroy of the World Bank, Andrea Fernández of More Money Transfers and Sergio Ruiz, chief executive of the Uruguay-based More Money Transfers, June 18, 2010.
MORE PROGRAM EVENTS
- "Remittances: Regulation and Disclosure in a New Economic Environment," by Manuel Orozco, Testimony before the House of Representatives Financial Services Committee Subcommittee on Financial Institutions, June 3, 2009.
- "Crossing Borders, Keeping Connected: Women, Migration, and Development in the OSCE Region," by Manuel Orozco, Testimony before the U.S. Congress and U.S. Helsinki Commission, April 24, 2008.
MORE PROGRAM CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONIES
PARTNERS & SPONSORS