On October 12, the House and the Senate voted to ratify free trade agreements with Colombia and Panama some six years after they were originally signed. According to Dialogue president Michael Shifter, the long delay in ratifying the agreements reflects poorly on the United States' declared commitment to partnership with other governments in the hemisphere. Dialogue president emeritus Peter Hakim also contends that the FTAs will not have a fundamental impact on US relations with the region. MORE
The Dialogue's Economics and Trade Program seeks to monitor Latin American economies and analyze the impact of policy decisions. The program also focuses on how the external global economy affects Latin America's economic growth and how specific actors such as China, the United States, and Europe contribute to its development.
The Dialogue hosts the Latin American Economies Roundtable, bringing together a small group of leading economic analysts from government agencies, international financial institutions, the private sector, think-tanks and universities. Participants analyze the state of Latin American and Caribbean economies, how they are affected by the external environment and what are the best policy options.
Michael Shifter, President
Peter Hakim, President Emeritus
Nora Lustig, Non-Resident Senior Fellow |
Paul Shortell, Program Assistant
For more information, contact Paul Shortell, at email@example.com or (202) 463-2933.
ARTICLES & OP-EDS | PUBLICATIONS | IN THE PRESS | INTERVIEWS | EVENTS | CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY
- China y EE.UU. en Latam: ¿quien gana?, July 30, 2013
- What Is at the Heart of the Argentina-Brazil Trade Dispute?, December 21, 2012.
- China's Free Trade Agreements in South America, November 12, 2012.
- What Would a Romney Victory Mean for Trade with the Region?, October 25, 2012.
- Is Ecuador in Danger of Losing U.S. Trade Preferences?, October 3, 2012.
- Are Trans Pacific Partnership Trade Talks Too Secretive?, September 28, 2012.
- Chinese Trade and Investment in Latin America: Perspectives from Colombia and Ecuador, September 21 2012.
- How Important is European Union-Latin American Trade?, July 16, 2012
- How Important Are Trade Relations Between the U.S and Ecuador?, June 22, 2012.
- How Will New Trade Rules Affect Argentina's Economy?, February 7, 2012.
- Was the U.S Speaker's Visit a Step Toward Closer Trade Ties?, January 24, 2012.
- A Decade of Change: Political, Economic, and Social Developments in Western Hemisphere Affairs, September 7, 2011.
- Latin America's Response to Global Financial Instability, August 30, 2011.
- Latin America and the United States: Looking Towards 2020, September 7, 2011.
- Annual CAF Conference on Trade and Investment in the Americas, September 7, 2011.
- Impact of Debt Crises in Europe and the United States on Latin America, May 23, 2011.
- Latin America's Rapid Recovery, March 3, 2011
- Linking the economic reforms and micro-entrepreneurship among remittances recipients in Cuba, May 2, 2011
- Uneven Progress in Latin America for 2011, January 12, 2011.
- Rising Confidence in Latin America, January 1, 2011
- Declining Inequality in Latin America: A Decade of Progress? June 24, 2010.
IN THE PRESS
- Sunlight on remittances, Manuel Orozco in Los Angeles Times, November 3, 2013.
- No cesan las dudas sobre el Gran Canal, Margaret Myers in La Prensa, June 29, 2013.
- Nicaragua's Canal: Chinese Tycoon Wang Jing Wants to Build It, Margaret Myers in Bloomberg, June 27, 2013.
- Ecuador breaks US trade pact to thwart 'blackmail'over Edward Snowden, Michael Shifter in The Guardian, June 27, 2013.
- Canal interoceánico nicaragüense ya tiene inversionistas, Margaret Myers in Portafolio, June 26, 2013.
- Nicaragua’s Chinese Canal: Behind the Audacious $40 Billion Bid to Build a Rival Panama Canal, Margaret Myers in TIME, June 13, 2013.
- The looming U.S.-China rivalry over Latin America, Michael Shifter in Reuters, June 12, 2013.
- Wang creó en tres semanas empresa del Gran Canal, Margaret Myers in Confidencial, June 12, 2013.
- Políticas para atraer inversión extranjera dan frutos, Margaret Myers in Vanguardia, June 7, 2013.
- Aliança do Pacífico avança rumo ao livre comércio, enquanto Mercosul estagna, Michael Shifter in EM, May 22, 2013.
- Latin America Alliance Summit Aims to Boost Trade, Integration, Shifter in Wall Street Journal, May 21, 2013.
- Latin America Seeks Asian Trade, Michael Shifter in Wall Street Journal, May 21, 2013.
- Where Trade Is Free, Powerful Economic Growth Is The Norm, Claudio Loser in Forbes, May 6, 2013.
- In role reversal, Latin America may help IMF, Michael Shifter in Washington Post, December 3, 2011.
- Colombia y Brasil buscan ser las potencias del futuro, Michael Shifter in Portafolio, August 7, 2011.
MORE CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONIES
ARTICLES & OPEDS
- World Trends and the Future of Arab Latin-American Relations, by Sergio Bitar, Arab Latin-American Forum, December 17, 2012.
- Will America Look South? US Policy in Latin America, by Michael Shifter, Royal United Services Institute, October 26, 2012.
- The Mercosul's Rush to Judgement, by Peter Hakim, O Estado de S. Paulo, September 25, 2012.
- Venezuela in Mercosur. What was Brazil Thinking?, by Peter Hakim, Latin Pulse, September 21, 2012.
- "The FTA, not such a happy story," by Michael Shifter, El Colombiano, October 18, 2011.
- "The Colombia and Panama Free Trade Deals: New Momentum for US-Latin American Relations?" by Peter Hakim, Infolatam, October 13, 2011.
- Humala y la política exterior: ¿más continuidad que cambio?, by Michael Shifter, Argumentos, July 26, 2011. (English)
- And It's Still the Economy by Peter Hakim in América Economía, March 11, 2010. (Español)
- Political Ramifications of the Economic Crisis by Peter Hakim in América Economía, September 14, 2009. (PDF)
- The Media Missed the Real Story in Cancun by Peter Hakim in América Economía, April 16, 2010. (Español)
- FDI in the Region Will Recover This Year after Sliding in 2009 by Alicia Bárcena in the Latin America Advisor, January 4, 2010.
- Latin America's Economic Growth Will Rebound in 2010 by Shelly Shetty in the Latin America Advisor, December 23, 2009.
- Will Latin America’s Economic Success be Sustained? A Historical Perspective, April 16, 2013.
- The Rise of The Latin American Middle Class, January 24, 2013.
- Deepening the Relationship:Prospects for US-Brazil Commercial and Bilateral Trades, January 15, 2013.
- The Mexican Diaspora Investment Partnership, October 14, 2011.
- A Conversation with Marcelo Zabalaga Estrada, President of the Bolivian Central Bank, September 23, 2011.
- Rising Brazil: Domestic and International Trends, September 22, 2011.
- Reassessing China-Mexico Competition, September 16, 2011.
- Assessing Dilma Rousseff's Approach to Chinese Competition, August 29, 2011.
- The Age of Productivity: Transforming Economies from the Bottom Up. July 15, 2010.
- Discussion of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, July 8, 2011.
- Latin America’s Economic Outlook – How Should the Region Respond to Economic Success? May 24, 2011.
- Will Economic Change Threaten Cuba's Education Success? May 9, 201.1
The Financial Crisis from Inter-American Dialogue on Vimeo.