ABOUT | ARTICLES, OP-EDS & PUBLICATIONS | IN THE PRESS | INTERVIEWS | EVENTS
ANDEAN WORKING PAPERS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS | CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY
Is the United States more disengaged from Latin America than in years past? In the spring of 2014, Michael Shifter, president of the Dialogue, testified before the House Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere. He addressed concerns that the United States has retreated from the region, and how US relations with Latin America have evolved. He said, "Rather than blame the current or previous US administrations, it is best to put today’s situation in proper perspective. The fact is over the past decade or so, Latin America has changed in profound ways. Many Latin American economies have performed well and have multiplied their global ties. Politically, they are increasingly confident on the world stage. More than in the recent past, the United States is now but one of many countries involved in the region’s affairs."
Yet Obama's foreign policy towards Latin America has evolved in important ways since he took office in 2008. Michael Shifter speaks with CCTV on how expectations have become tempered over the past years.
The program on US Foreign Policy explores the hemispheric implications of US policy toward Latin America and the Caribbean. Through the Congressional Members Working Group dinner series and other events, the Dialogue connects regional leaders to the US policy community in Washington and provides an open forum for exchange. Initiatives like the Drug Policy Program offer a more focused environment in which to build hemispheric consensus on divisive policy challenges. Dialogue experts also spark new conversations with timely and incisive foreign policy analysis.
Michael Shifter, President
Peter Hakim, President Emeritus
Joan Caivano, Deputy to the President/Director Special Projects
Cameron Combs, Program Associate
Paul Shortell, Program Assistant
For more information, please contact Cameron Combs at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 463-2574.
ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- To keep kids from our borders, fix things farther south, by Peter Hakim, 14 July 2014.
- The United States and Central America’s Northern Tier: The Ongoing Disconnect, by Hector Silva Ávalos, March 2014.
- Failing Policies in Cuba and the U.S., by Peter Hakim, LatinPulse, 14 February 2014.
- A Critical Test of Leadership, by Thomas F. "Mack" McLarty and Nelson W. Cunningham, Huffington Post, 2 February 2014.
- El milagro del año 2000, by Moisés Naím , El País, 25 January 2014.
- The Future of Inter-American Relations, Peter Hakim in Calgary Papers in Military and Strategic Studies, January 6, 2014.
- What Does 2014 Hold for U.S.-Latin America Relations?, Q&A from the Dialogue's daily Latin America Advisor featuring Arturo Sarukhán, Rubens Barbosa, Peter Hakim, Julia Buxton, and Riordan Roett, December 20, 2013.
- Para analista, sentimento entre os países está mais negativo, Peter Hakim in Jornal Valor Econômico, December 17, 2013
- President Juan Manuel Santos Comes to Washington/Tras la visita de Santos a Obama, todo sigue igual: es decir, bien, Peter Hakim in Infolatam, December 6, 2013.
- U.S.-Brazil Relations at an Impasse, Peter Hakim in Revista Brasileira de Comercio Exterior, December 2, 2013. (Portuguese)
- 'Tras casi 200 años, era hora de enterrar la Doctrina Monroe', Michael Shifter in El Tiempo, November 24, 2013.
- El legado de JFK, by Michael Shifter in El Colombiano, November 23, 2013.
- Presidents and Popularity Polls, by Peter Hakim in LatinPulse, October 23, 2013.
- A visita de Estado que não houve, by Peter Hakim in Estadão, October 14, 2013. (English)
- 'Obamacare', manzana de la discordia, Michael Shifter in El Tiempo, October 1, 2013.
- August Recess: A Time to Align Poltical Forces, Michael Shifter in El Colombiano, August 13, 2013. (Español)
- China y EE.UU. en Latam: ¿quien gana?, Peter Hakim in Infolatam, July 30, 2013.
- Why Latin America (Hearts) Snowden, Peter Hakim in Reuters, July 17, 2013. (Español)
- Christian and LGBT Groups Have Brought the Battle for Gay Rights to the Caribbean, Cameron Combs in The Atlantic, June 27, 2013.
- Which Mexico for Obama? Peter Hakim, Reuters, May 1, 2013.
- La década que fue, Michael Shifter in El País, March 13, 2013. (English)
- The Empire Makes Nice, Michael Shifter in Foreign Policy, March 11, 2013.
- Brasil y EE UU están de acuerdo en el desacuerdo, Peter Hakim in Política Exterior, February 2013.
- El gran paso con la reforma en EE.UU. By Michael Shifter in El Colombiano, February 5, 2013. (Español)
MORE PROGRAM ARTICLES & OP-EDS
IN THE PRESS
Politics to Shadow Obama's Trade Talks in Mexico, Peter Hakim in New York Times, 18 February 2014.
Barack Obama y el Congreso Michael Shifter on NTN24, 30 January 2014.
Obama, ¿puede gobernar por decreto? Michael Shifter in El Espectador, 30 January 2014.
El Estado de la Unión vuelve a estar en casa Michael Shifter in El Mundo, 28 January 2014.
Is Obama's Latin America Policy Finally on Track? Michael Shifter in Foreign Policy 13 January 2014.
Tras cinco años, Obama persiste: 'sí podemos' Michael Shifter in El Comercio, 10 January 2014.
EU: Obama va por un año de acción Michael Shifter in El Universal 9 January 2014.
- EU: Obama va por un año de acción, Michael Shifter in El Universal, January 9, 2014.
- The U.S. Agenda in Latin America in 2014, Peter Hakim in LatinPulse, January 9, 2014.
- ¿Fue 2013 el peor año de Obama?, Michael Shifter in Univisión, December 27, 2013.
- Escape from Bolivia: Mystery operation with Hollywood twist brings US man home, Peter Hakim in Christian Science Monitor, December 19, 2013.
- La Frontera Invisible, Peter Hakim in Frontera, December 19, 2013.
- Jacob Ostreicher leaves Bolivia after two years jail into arms of Sean Penn, Peter Hakim in Herald Sun, December 18, 2013.
- ¿Señales de humo?, Peter Hakim in El Tiempo, December 16, 2013.
- Brazil's Lobby in the U.S. is Little Compared to That of Other Countries, Michael Shifter in Folha de S.Paulo, December 16, 2013.
- Polémica por el saludo entre Barack Obama y Raúl Castro, Michael Shifter in PanAm Post, December 11, 2013.
- ARGENTINA: Obama ? Castro: el saludo que desató reacciones en todo el mundo, Michael Shifter in Etorno Inteligente, December 11, 2013.
- Un saludo, decenas de interpretaciones, Michael Shifter in El Mundo, December 11, 2013.
- El apretón de manos entre Obama y Raúl Castro, ¿algo más que una imagen?, La Voz de Galicia, December 11, 2013.
- Missa que exaltou caráter conciliador de Mandela aproxima EUA e Cuba, Peter Hakim in Estadão, December 11, 2013.
- A Conversation on US Cooperation in Central America and Mexico, December 11, 2013.
- U.S.-Brazilian Relations After the Cancellation, September 20, 2013.
- Congressional Members' Working Group: President Obama's Visit and the Outlook for US Relations with Mexico and Central America, May 22, 2013.
- A Conversation on President Obama’s Visit to Central America with the Region’s Ambassadors in Washington, May 17, 2013.
- Press briefing: President Obama's Visit to Mexico and Central America, April 29, 2013.
- Congressional Staff Roundtable: Colombia's Peace Process, January 31, 2013.
- The US Elections: Implications for Latin America, November 12, 2012.
- The Future of US-Mexico Cooperation, July 25, 2012.
- Strengthening US-Latin America Ties: A Conversation with Senator Chris Coons and Congressman Xavier Becerra, June 20, 2012.
- Report release: Remaking the Relationship, April 11, 2012.
- A Conversation with Bill Richardson, October 6, 2011.
- A Discussion on Obama's New Deportations Policy and the Future of Immigration, September 21, 2011.
MORE PROGRAM EVENTS
Michael Shifter and PJ Crowley on U.S. Foreign Policy on CCTV America 3 May 2014.
- "Uno de los mayores déficits de la región es la administración burocrática de sus Estados," Interview with Francis Fukukyama in La Nación, April 9, 2014.
Latinoamérica hacia 2014 Michael Shifter on CNN 6 January 2014.
Éste es el panorama que enfrentará la política exterior de EE.UU. durante el 2014 Michael Shifter on Noticias Mundo Fox 31 December 2013.
- Agencia de EE.UU. para el Desarrollo deja a Bolivia, Michael Shifter in RFI Español, October 2, 2013.
- Michael Shifter: “El espionaje ahondó la distancia con América Latina”, Michael Shifter in El Deber, September 29, 2013.
- In-Depth on the Snowden Affair: Latin American Perspectives, Peter Hakim in LatinPulse, August 8, 2013.
- ¿Son los multimillonarios la salvación para los periódicos?, Michael Shifter in Club de Prensa, August 6, 2013.
- Experto analiza situación en el Canal de Panamá, Interview with Michael Shifter in Voz de América, July 18, 2013.
- Diplomacy and the Edward Snowden Case, Michael Shifter in The Kojo Nnamdi Show, July 15, 2013.
- Is Latin America Sliding Left?, Interview with Michael Shifter in Bloomberg TV, June 28, 2013.
- ¿Está frenando Estados Unidos el debate sobre las drogas de la OEA?, Interview with Michael Shifter in Club de Prensa NTN24, June 5, 2013.
- Peter Hakim Discusses President Obama's Trip to Mexico, Interview with Peter Hakim in CCTV, May 5, 2013.
- Análisis de la visita de Barack Obama a México y CA, Interview with Michael Shifter, Esta Noche, May 2, 2013.
MORE PROGRAM INTERVIEWS