PUBLICATIONS | EVENTS | ARTICLES & OP-EDS | PRESS | PRESENTATIONS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS
“Nada como la energía para superar la pobreza”:
An Exchange with Colombian Minister Tomás González
Newly appointed Mines and Energy Minister Tomás González stressed the important role of the oil and mining sectors in funding government efforts to promote peace and economic development in Colombia at a private meeting hosted by the Dialogue in Bogotá, Colombia. Read more.
Mexico's Electricity Reforms:
Promise and Challenges
Stefan Andrej Shambora/ Electric Power Line Towers/ CC BY 2.0
Mexico's energy reform opened the door for much-needed improvements in the electricity sector, but structural change will be a long process and the greatest benefits will materialize only over the course of a decade, according to a recently released report from the Inter-American Dialogue featured in the Financial Times and Mexico's AM. Click here to read the working paper in English. Para leer el informe en Español, favor de hacer click aquí.
The Energy, Climate Change and Extractive Industries Program seeks to improve understanding and communication on energy policy issues in Latin America through research, public events and roundtable discussions. By producing balanced analysis and convening policymakers, corporate leaders and industry experts, the program informs and shapes policies that promote investment while encouraging economically, socially and environmentally responsible development of natural resources.
The Energy Program is now accepting internship applications for Fall 2014 and Spring 2015. Click here for more information.
Lisa Viscidi, Program Director
Genaro Arriagada, Non-Resident Senior Fellow
Paul Shortell, Program Assistant
For more information, contact Paul Shortell at
email@example.com or (202) 463-2933.
PARTNERS AND SPONSORS
- Chinese Mining Activity in Latin America: A Review of Recent Findings, Iacob Koch-Weser, September 24, 2014.
- A Brighter Future for Mexico: The Promise and Challenge of Electricity Reform, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell, June 12, 2014. (Español) (Chinese)
- Informe avance SIEPAC y propuesa de medidas, Genaro Arriagada, June 10, 2014
- Natural Gas in Central America, Paul Shortell, Kathryn Baragwanath and Carlos Sucre, March 7, 2014
- China, América Latina y Estados Unidos: energía, un triángulo en dificultades, Genaro Arriagada and Ramón Espinasa, February 28, 2014. (English)
- Shale Gas in Latin America: Opportunities and Challenges, David Mares, July 17, 2013.
- Perspectives on Energy and Mining in Colombia, August 28, 2014.
- The Outlook for Brazil’s Oil and Gas Sector, June 26, 2014.
- Mexico’s Energy Reform: Assessing the Secondary Legislation June 24, 2014.
- Mexico's Energy Reforms: What's Next for Gas and Electricity? June 6, 2014.
- A Conversation on China-Brazil Energy Relations, May 20, 2014. Hosted in coordination with FIESP.
- What Does North America's Energy Boom Mean for Latin America? April 23, 2014.
- Latin America's Oil Sector: A Lost Opportunity, November 6, 2013.
- How lack of skills can derail Mexico’s energy reform, Jason Fargo in PREAL Blog, August 12, 2014. (Español)
- In Need of Investment, Peru Rolls Back Environmental Standards, Paul Shortell in World Politics Review, July 28, 2014.
- What Will COP20 Mean for Climate Change & Energy?, Lisa Viscidi in Latin America Advisor, July 17, 2014.
- La difícil búsqueda del equilibrio, Lisa Viscidi in El Tiempo, July 11, 2014. (English).
- How Should Colombia Handle Oil and Mining Royalties?, Lisa Viscidi in Latin America Advisor, July 3, 2014.
- The Future Still Looks Bright for Brazil's Energy Giant, Petrobras, Lisa Viscidi in Oil Price, May 1, 2014.
- Environment vs. Economy: The Hydropower Debate in Latin America, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell in Latin Business Chronicle, April 14, 2014.
- Latin America Seeks Place in Oil's New World Order, Lisa Viscidi in Business News Americas, April 3, 2014.
- Is Brazil's Petrobras on the Right Track? Lisa Viscidi in Latin America Advisor, March 20, 2014.
- La crisis energética de Argentina en números, Claudio Loser in Infolatam, January 6, 2014.
- Colombia Eyes Interconnection with Chile, Lisa Viscidi in Business News Americas, September 26, 2014.
- Empleados de petroleras siguen en la mira de la guerrilla, Lisa Viscidi in El Tiempo, September 16, 2014.
- Petroleras podrían abandonar el país ante pesimismo de inversionistas, Lisa Viscidi in El Tiempo, September 12, 2014.
- Mexico energy reform gives Colombia the jitters, Lisa Viscidi in Business News Americas, September 11, 2014.
- La baja en precios de la electricidad se dará hasta 2040: expertos, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell in Yancuic, July 21, 2014.
- Reforma energética fracasará si no bajan tarifas eléctricas: expertos, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell in El Financiero, July 10, 2014.
- Shale boom confounds forecasts as US set to pass Russia, Saudi Arabia, Lisa Viscidi in Reuters, July 9, 2014.
- Energy: Back to black, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell in Financial Times, June 23, 2014.
The views expressed by the Inter-American Dialogue do not necessarily reflect those of its sponsors