PUBLICATIONS | EVENTS | ARTICLES & OP-EDS | PRESS | PRESENTATIONS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS
What the Oil Price Collapse Means for Latin America
International oil prices have plummeted by more than 50% since June, putting a strain on many of Latin America's oil-dependent economies. Dialogue experts analyze why Venezuela and Ecuador are turning to China for more financial support and how falling prices are pushing President Maduro to the edge. We also look, though, at why low oil prices have a silver lining for Latin America’s heavy crude producers, Mexico and Venezuela.
Climate Change in Latin America:
The outlook for COP 20 and beyond
In December world leaders traveled to Lima, Peru to participate in United Nations COP 20 talks. On November 6th, the Dialogue hosted an expert panel to discuss the prospects for a more comprehensive agreement. Read more on climate policy from our experts in the Financial Times and Latin America Advisor. See Program Director Lisa Viscidi speaking at Brown University on China-Latin American climate change relations.
Earth From Outer Space / Thang Nguyen / CC BY-SA 2.0
The Energy, Climate Change and Extractive Industries Program seeks to improve understanding and communication on energy policy issues in Latin America through research, public events and roundtable discussions. By producing balanced analysis and convening policymakers, corporate leaders and industry experts, the program informs and shapes policies that promote investment while encouraging economically, socially and environmentally responsible development of natural resources.
Lisa Viscidi, Program Director
Genaro Arriagada, Non-Resident Senior Fellow
For more information, contact (202) 463-2571.
ENERGY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE
For more information on the Energy & Resources Committee, click here.
- Navigating Risk in Brazil's Energy Sector: The Chinese Approach, Lisa Viscidi and Margaret Myers, October 2, 2014.
- A Brighter Future for Mexico: The Promise and Challenge of Electricity Reform, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell, June 12, 2014. (Español) (Chinese)
- Informe avance SIEPAC y propuesa de medidas, Genaro Arriagada, June 10, 2014
- Natural Gas in Central America, Paul Shortell, Kathryn Baragwanath and Carlos Sucre, March 7, 2014
- Shale Gas in Latin America: Opportunities and Challenges, David Mares, July 17, 2013.
- Energy and Human Capital Roundtable, Mexico City, April 28, 2015.
- Climate Change and Latin America: The outlook for COP 20 and beyond, November 6, 2014.
- Workshop on Refining Markets in Latin America, October 1, 2014.
- Perspectives on Energy and Mining in Colombia, August 28, 2014.
- The Outlook for Brazil’s Oil and Gas Sector, June 26, 2014.
- Mexico’s Energy Reform: Assessing the Secondary Legislation June 24, 2014.
- Mexico's Energy Reforms: What's Next for Gas and Electricity? June 6, 2014.
- A Conversation on China-Brazil Energy Relations, May 20, 2014. Hosted in coordination with FIESP.
- What Does North America's Energy Boom Mean for Latin America? April 23, 2014.
- Colombia: Economic Impact of the Oil Price Decline, January 23, 2015.
- China and Latin America in a Carbon-Constrained World, November 21, 2014 (presentation)
- Natural Gas, LNG and Hydropower: Balanced Energy Mix in Electricity Generation, July 30, 2014.
- Resource Nationalism in Latin America, June 17, 2014.
- Petrobras: from Privatization to Resource Nationalism, May 2, 2014.
- Colombia: Extractive Industries and the Economy, April 29, 2014.
- Low Oil Prices Have Silver Lining For Latin America’s Heavy Crude Producers, by Lisa Viscidi, OilPrice.com, January 17, 2015.
- Ecuador and Venezuela seek Chinese support amid oil price decline, by Margaret Myers and Lisa Viscidi, Inter-American Dialogue China and Latin America blog, December 16, 2014.
- How Would an End to the US Export Ban Affect the Region?, Lisa Viscidi in the Latin America Advisor, November 30, 2014
- Why Investors Shouldn't Overlook Argentina's Energy Reforms, Juan Cruz Diaz and Lisa Viscidi in Oil Price, October 30, 2014.
- Falling Oil Prices Push Venezuela, Maduro Closer to the Edge, Paul Shortell in World Politics Review, October 22, 2014.
- How Latin America is making the case for green growth, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell in FT beyondbrics, October 10, 2014.
- How lack of skills can derail Mexico’s energy reform, Jason Fargo in PREAL Blog, August 12, 2014. (Español)
- La difícil búsqueda del equilibrio, Lisa Viscidi in El Tiempo, July 11, 2014. (English).
- Oil price plunge raises Mexico energy reform concerns, Lisa Viscidi in The Financial Times, December 8, 2014.
- Venezuela Turmoil Signals End of Oil-for-Jeans Giveaway, Lisa Viscidi in Bloomberg, November 25, 2014
- Colombian Rebels' Attacks Set Back Nation, Lisa Viscidi in the Wall Street Journal, November 7, 2014.
- Petroleras podrían abandonar el país ante pesimismo de inversionistas, Lisa Viscidi in El Tiempo, September 12, 2014.
- Mexico energy reform gives Colombia the jitters, Lisa Viscidi in Business News Americas, September 11, 2014.
- Reforma energética fracasará si no bajan tarifas eléctricas: expertos, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell in El Financiero, July 10, 2014.
- Shale boom confounds forecasts as US set to pass Russia, Saudi Arabia, Lisa Viscidi in Reuters, July 9, 2014.
The views expressed by the Inter-American Dialogue do not necessarily reflect those of its sponsors