PUBLICATIONS | EVENTS | ARTICLES & OP-EDS | PRESS | PRESENTATIONS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS
Filling The Gap: How the US Energy Boom is Shaping Refining Markets in Latin America
The surge in unconventional oil and gas production in North America has dramatically shifted energy markets in the Americas, with important implications for Latin America and the Caribbean. A new report by Lisa Viscidi, Director of the Energy, Climate Change and Extractive Industries Program at the Inter-American Dialogue, examines the factors behind rising oil demand and the growing deficit in refining capacity in Latin America, as well as the geopolitical implications of increasing US oil product exports to the region.
Click here to access a PDF of the report. (Español)
Peru, like many Latin American countries, has long faced tensions
between governments looking to monetize the nation’s mineral and
hydrocarbons resources and local communities concerned about
environmental and social degradation on their lands. In a sign that such
conflicts are continuing unabated, recent protests over an oil and gas
project led to violent clashes and political turmoil for the Ollanta
Lisa Viscidi, Energy Program Director, and Jason Fargo analyze the situation here.
The Dialogue's weekly Energy Advisor
The Energy, Climate Change and Extractive Industries Program seeks to improve understanding and communication on energy policy issues in Latin America through research, public events and roundtable discussions. By producing balanced analysis and convening policymakers, corporate leaders and industry experts, the program informs and shapes policies that promote investment while encouraging economically, socially and environmentally responsible development of natural resources.
Lisa Viscidi, Program Director
Genaro Arriagada, Non-Resident Senior Fellow
Rebecca O'Connor, Program Assistant
For more information, contact (202) 463-2571.
ENERGY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE
For more information on the Energy & Resources Committee, click here.
- Filling The Gap: How the US Energy Boom is Shaping Refining Markets in Latin America, Lisa Viscidi, March 23, 2015. (Español)
- Navigating Risk in Brazil's Energy Sector: The Chinese Approach, Lisa Viscidi and Margaret Myers, October 2, 2014.
- A Brighter Future for Mexico: The Promise and Challenge of Electricity Reform, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell, June 12, 2014. (Español) (Chinese)
- Informe avance SIEPAC y propuesa de medidas, Genaro Arriagada, June 10, 2014
- Natural Gas in Central America, Paul Shortell, Kathryn Baragwanath and Carlos Sucre, March 7, 2014
- Shale Gas in Latin America: Opportunities and Challenges, David Mares, July 17, 2013.
- Energy in Central America and the Caribbean, May 7, 2015.
- Energy and Human Capital Roundtable, Mexico City, April 28, 2015.
- Workshop on Crude Oil Markets in Latin America, March 19, 2015.
- Climate Change and Latin America: The outlook for COP 20 and beyond, November 6, 2014.
- Workshop on Refining Markets in Latin America, October 1, 2014.
- Perspectives on Energy and Mining in Colombia, August 28, 2014.
- The Outlook for Brazil’s Oil and Gas Sector, June 26, 2014.
- Mexico’s Energy Reform: Assessing the Secondary Legislation June 24, 2014.
- Mexico's Energy Reforms: What's Next for Gas and Electricity? June 6, 2014.
- A Conversation on China-Brazil Energy Relations, May 20, 2014. Hosted in coordination with FIESP.
- What Does North America's Energy Boom Mean for Latin America? April 23, 2014.
- Colombia: Economic Impact of the Oil Price Decline, January 23, 2015.
- China and Latin America in a Carbon-Constrained World, November 21, 2014 (presentation)
- Natural Gas, LNG and Hydropower: Balanced Energy Mix in Electricity Generation, July 30, 2014.
- Resource Nationalism in Latin America, June 17, 2014.
- Petrobras: from Privatization to Resource Nationalism, May 2, 2014.
- Colombia: Extractive Industries and the Economy, April 29, 2014.
- Conflict over Natural Resources Sparks Political Upheaval in Peru, by Lisa Viscidi and Jason Fargo, March 3, 2015.
- Low Oil Prices Have Silver Lining For Latin America’s Heavy Crude Producers, by Lisa Viscidi, OilPrice.com, January 17, 2015.
- Ecuador and Venezuela seek Chinese support amid oil price decline, by Margaret Myers and Lisa Viscidi, Inter-American Dialogue China and Latin America blog, December 16, 2014.
- How Would an End to the US Export Ban Affect the Region?, Lisa Viscidi in the Latin America Advisor, November 30, 2014
- Why Investors Shouldn't Overlook Argentina's Energy Reforms, Juan Cruz Diaz and Lisa Viscidi in Oil Price, October 30, 2014.
- Falling Oil Prices Push Venezuela, Maduro Closer to the Edge, Paul Shortell in World Politics Review, October 22, 2014.
- How Latin America is making the case for green growth, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell in FT beyondbrics, October 10, 2014.
- How lack of skills can derail Mexico’s energy reform, Jason Fargo in PREAL Blog, August 12, 2014. (Español)
- La difícil búsqueda del equilibrio, Lisa Viscidi in El Tiempo, July 11, 2014. (English).
- Oil price plunge raises Mexico energy reform concerns, Lisa Viscidi in The Financial Times, December 8, 2014.
- Venezuela Turmoil Signals End of Oil-for-Jeans Giveaway, Lisa Viscidi in Bloomberg, November 25, 2014
- Colombian Rebels' Attacks Set Back Nation, Lisa Viscidi in the Wall Street Journal, November 7, 2014.
- Petroleras podrían abandonar el país ante pesimismo de inversionistas, Lisa Viscidi in El Tiempo, September 12, 2014.
- Mexico energy reform gives Colombia the jitters, Lisa Viscidi in Business News Americas, September 11, 2014.
- Reforma energética fracasará si no bajan tarifas eléctricas: expertos, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell in El Financiero, July 10, 2014.
- Shale boom confounds forecasts as US set to pass Russia, Saudi Arabia, Lisa Viscidi in Reuters, July 9, 2014.
The views expressed by the Inter-American Dialogue do not necessarily reflect those of its sponsors