DIALOGUE PUBLICATIONS | DIALOGUE EVENTS | RELEVANT PUBLICATIONS & EVENTS | PRESS COVERAGE | PARTNERS & SPONSORS
SHALE GAS IN LATIN AMERICA
Is shale gas a viable new frontier for Latin America’s booming energy sector? Energy expert David Mares analyzes major political, economic and environmental for countries hoping to develop the next generation of hydrocarbon resources. MORE
||ENERGY CHALLENGES IN THE AMERICAS|
A compilation of articles commissioned by the Energy Policy Group and published in the Florida International University's annual Hemisphere Journal. MORE
Meeting on China-Latin America Energy Relations
In a joint meeting of the Dialogue's China-Latin America Working Group with the Energy Policy Group on March 21, experts discussed the context, evolution and implications of China's energy engagement in Latin America.
The Dialogue established its Energy Policy Group in September 2009 with the support and cooperation of the Inter-American Development Bank. Led by Dialogue senior fellow Genaro Arriagada, a distinguished Chilean analyst and former minister of state, the Energy Policy Group consists of a professionally and politically diverse group of some 20 energy analysts, corporate leaders, and policymakers.
Energy Policy Group participants meet two or three times a year to discuss Latin America’s most important energy policy issues and choices. Activities are directed to informing and shaping national and regional policy debates on the energy challenges confronting the countries of Latin America, improving the quality of attention to those challenges, and encouraging multilateral cooperation to address them.
Peter Hakim, President Emeritus
Genaro Arriagada, Non Resident Senior Fellow
Paul Shortell, Program Assistant
For more information, contact Paul Shortell at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 463-2933.
- China, América Latina y Estados Unidos: energía, un triángulo en dificultades, Genaro Arriagada and Ramón Espinasa, February 28, 2013.
- Shale Gas in Latin America: Opportunities and Challenges, David Mares, July 17, 2013.
- Chávez Win Warrants Closer Look at Venezuelan Oil Policy, Alexis Arthur, Latin America Energy Advisor, October 12, 2012.
- "Latin America's Energy Future," Roger Tissot, August 2012.
- Spain's Power Wanes Amid Energy Nationalizations, Alexis Arthur, Latin America Energy Advisor, May 3, 2012.
- "¿Qué supone el cambio climático para América Latina?", Paul Isbell, Infolatam, February 28, 2011.
- "Latin America's Nuclear Future," Jorge Zanelli, November 2010.
- “Energy Conflicts: A Growing Concern in Latin America,” by Patricia I. Vásquez, November 2010.
- “Petrobras,” Genaro Arriagada with Chris Cote, November 2010.
- “Energy Policy in Latin America: The Critical Issues and Choices,” Genaro Arriagada, October 2010.
- “Challenges of Designing an Optimal Petroleum Fiscal Model in Latin America,” Roger Tissot, October 2010.
RELEVANT PUBLICATIONS & EVENTS
- "A Quiet Reversal in Hemispheric Energy Trade," by Jed Bailey, Perspectives on the Americas, Center for Hemispheric Policy, University of Miami, Oct. 2012.
- VIDEO: XXI La Jolla Energy Conference, Institute of the Americas, 2012.
- "China's Investment in Latin American Energy Resources: Comparative Asian Perspectives," by David R. Mares, Baker Institute for Public Policy, Rice University, Dec. 2011.
- Shale Gas in Latin America, September 25, 2013.
- Perspectives on the Future of China-Venezuela Energy Relations, March 22, 2013.
- Energy in China and Latin America, Joint meeting of the China-Latin America and Energy Policy working groups, Washington, DC, March 21, 2013. Agenda, Participant List.
- New Challenges in Energy Policy, Washington, DC. Dec 13, 2012; Agenda, Participant List.
- Latin America's Shifting Energy Landscape: Energy Policy Group Meeting, Washington, DC, Feb 27, 2012: Agenda, Participant List.
- Central America: The Politics of Electric Integration, Washington, DC. Oct 28, 2011.
- Security and Energy Policy in Aruba: A Conversation with Prime Minister Mike Eman, Washington, DC, Oct 13 2011.
- Challenges and Opportunities in Central America: Energy Policy Group Meeting, San Salvador, El Salvador, May 2011: Agenda, Participant List, Background Papers, Report.
- Latin America's Energy Future, Miami, Florida, May 2011: Agenda, Participant List, Report.
- Energy Issues and Choices in Latin America: Energy Policy Group Meeting, Washington, DC, Nov. 2010: Agenda, Participant List.
- Rising Oil Prices Benefit Central America and the Dominican Republic, Washington, DC, Nov. 2010.
- Challenges for Latin America's Energy Development: Energy Policy Group Meeting, Washington, DC, June 2010: Agenda, Report.
- Energy Policy in Latin America: Energy Policy Group Meeting, Washington, DC, Mar. 2010: Agenda, Report.
- Is Hemispheric Energy Cooperation Viable? Washington, DC, Apr. 2009.
- Argentina's Shale Gas Holds Promise, But Better Policies Needed, Platts, September 26, 2013.
- Opponents of Fracking Seek to Thwart Shale Gas Financing, Dialogue report in Inter-Press Service, August 18, 2013.
- Chávez Cancer Imperils $7 billion Caribbean Oil Financing, Peter Hakim in Bloomberg, January 3, 2012.
- "Estados Unidos estaría cerca de convertirse en exportador de gas natural a gran escala", Alexis Arthur in La República, December 10, 2012.
- "Are Conflicts Hampering Peru's Energy and Mining Sector?," Latin America Advisor, May 23, 2011.
- VIDEO: El impacto de la inestabilidad árabe en los precios del petróleo en América Latina, Interview with Paul Isbell, Foro Interamericano, February 25, 2011.
PARTNERS & SPONSORS