ABOUT | ARTICLES, OP-EDS & PUBLICATIONS | IN THE PRESS | INTERVIEWS | EVENTS
ANDEAN WORKING PAPERS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS | CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY
The Dialogue's program on Brazil and the Southern Cone examines the most pressing challenges and opportunities facing Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Chile. Issues include democratic governance, energy, trade capacity building, the environment, and international relations. The program regularly hosts meetings and events that draw important political analysts, politicians, NGO and labor leaders, and economists.
The Latin America Working Group of the Dialogue met in Brazil on December 2011, convening the region’s leading analysts and practitioners to discuss Latin America’s democratic, economic, social, and political development as well as the role of regional institutions and the influence of hemispheric actors, such as Brazil.
Michael Shifter, President
Peter Hakim, President Emeritus
Kim Covington, Program Associate
Cameron Combs, Program Assistant
For more information, please contact Kim Covington at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (202) 463-2938 or Cameron Combs at email@example.com
or (202) 463-2574.
- Latin America and the United States: Looking Towards 2020, by Sergio Bitar, September 7, 2011.
- Un futuro común: Chile, Bolivia, Perú, by Sergio Bitar, October 9, 2011.
- Obama's Visit to Latin America: A View from the South, by Sergio Bitar, February 25, 2011 (Spanish).
- La apuesta de invertir para una mejor educación: Evaluando la Ley de Financiamiento Educativo en la Argentina, 2006-2010, by PREAL and CIPPEC, August 31, 2010.
- Overcoming Inertia?: A Report Card on Education in Brazil, 2009, by PREAL and Fundação Lemann, August 5, 2011 (Portuguese).
MORE PROGRAM PUBLICATIONS
- Deepening the Relationship: Prospects for US-Brazil Commercial and Bilateral Ties, January 15, 2013.
- Science, Technology, and Innovation Policies in Brazil, December 18, 2012.
- What will it take for Brazil to regain its economic vigor?, September 25, 2012.
- A Conversation with President Fernando Henrique Cardoso on Drug Policy in the Americas, July 9, 2012.
- The Implications of Lugo’s Ouster for Paraguay, July 6, 2012.
- A Press Roundtable on President Dilma Rousseff’s Visit to Washington, April 5, 2012.
- A Conversation with Andrés Allamand, Defense Minister of Chile, March 6, 2012.
- Measuring Discrimination: Race and Data in Brazil, October 21, 2011.
- Rising Brazil: Domestic and International Trends, September 22, 2011.
MORE PROGRAM EVENTS
ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- Brasil y EE UU están de acuerdo en el desacuerdo, Peter Hakim in Política Exterior, February 2013.
- Shifting Fortunes: Brazil & Mexico in a Transformed Region, Michael Shifter & Cameron Combs in Current History, February 2013.
- Which Issues Will Define the Brazil-Mexico Agenda?, By Peter Hakim, Rubens Barbosa, Ruben Olmos, Joel Korn, Latin America Advisor, January 8, 2013.
MORE PROGRAM ARTICLES & OP-EDS
- Elecciones en EEUU: No vienen cambios para AL, Michael Shifter in Confidencial, November 1, 2012.
- Es muy difícil hablar ahora de la década de América Latina, Michael Shifter in Portafolio, October 1, 2012.
- Venezuela in Mercosur: What was Brazil Thinking?, Peter Hakim in Latin Pulse, September 21, 2012.
- Fallout from Paraguay's Presidential Change, Peter Hakim in Latin Pulse (min. 25:00), July 13, 2012.
- Paraguay: Impeachment or political coup?, Interview with Michael Shifter, Al Jazeera's Inside Story, June 25, 2012.
- "Es un retroceso para la democracia en Paraguay," Interview with Michael Shifter, El Comercio, June 23, 2012.
- Paradigm Lost? The Bolivarian Movement and South America's Left, Interview with Michael Shifter, ISN, May 2, 2012.
MORE PROGRAM INTERVIEWS
- O grande momento da América Latina, Michael Shifter in Estado de Minas, May 11, 2013.
- Brazil's Azevedo Chosen to Lead WTO, Peter Hakim in Dow Jones. May 7, 2013.
- Mexico Battles Brazil for Clout Via WTO Top Job as Economy Grows, Michael Shifter in Bloomberg, May 6, 2013.
- Franco asegura que tiene pruebas del nexo de Chávez con el EPP, Dialogue event in Última Hora, April 5, 2013.
- Presidente do Paraguai pede que "Mercosul seja refundado", Dialogue event in Terra, April 4, 2013.
- Frear o crescimento evangélico é o principal desafio do papa, diz cardeal, Dialogue event in GospelPrime, April 4, 2013.
- Santiago Summit: Can Latin America Now Lecture Europe about Economics? Michael Shifter in TIME, January 25, 2013.
- Analistas veem Barack Obama 'mais confiante' na política externa dos EUA, Michael Shifter in G1, January 22, 2013.
- Brasil não é prioridade para Obama, mas relação deve seguir 'cordial', Michael Shifter in G1, January 22, 2013.
- Sai Hillary, entra Kerry: o que muda para o Brasil?, Peter Hakim in BBC Brasil, January 18, 2013.
- La Unasur avanza hacia la integración sudamericana en su cita en Perú, Peter Hakim in CNNMéxico, November 30, 2012.
- América Latina deve se manter na periferia do interesse americano, Michael Shifter in O Estado de São Paulo, November 6, 2012.
- América Latina: um vazio no mapa-múndi da campanha americana, Peter Hakim in O Globo, November 6, 2012.
- Época: Qual deles é melhor para o Brasil: Barack Obama ou Mitt Romney?, Peter Hakim in Época, November 4, 2012.
- Eleições no Brasil e efeitos colaterais, Peter Hakim in Infolatam, October 25, 2012. (Español)
- Duras críticas del Financial Times a la Presidenta, Michael Shifter in Cronista.com, October 11, 2012.
- Argentine leader defies her critics, Michael Shifter in FT, October 9, 2012.
MORE IN THE PRESS
MORE PROGRAM CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONIES