Initiative on Security and Migration in Central America and Mexico
The Inter-American Dialogue is carrying out a three-year initiative to develop a joint program of work with leading think tanks and research centers in Mexico and Central America on two of the most pressing policy challenges their countries now face: 1) the growing threat to governance, social and economic progress, and the rule of law posed by escalating crime and violence, and 2) the failure of the United States, Mexico, and the nations of Central America to effectively address the multiple political, social, and security problems that have emerged from continuing large, undocumented migration flows to the United States.
The project will convene leading analysts, scholars, and journalists from Mexico, Central America, and the United States working on the relevant issues to define a framework for a cooperative effort among institutions, achieve consensus on the themes and questions we propose to address, and identify subsequent activities we hope to take on. In the longer term, its goals are: 1) to prepare, publish, and distribute policy documents on the critical questions related to crime and violence and immigration issues, 2) to organize outreach and informational meetings in Washington, Mexico, and Central America to promote discussion and policy solutions among a range of key actors, and 3) to build a small network of institutions and individuals in Mexico and Central America that are knowledgeable and influential on these issues.
For more information, please contact Rachel Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 463-2572.
INITIATIVE MEETINGS | RELATED ARTICLES & PUBLICATIONS
RELATED ARTICLES & PUBLICATIONS
- "Democracy in Progress: El Salvador's Unfinished Transition," by Michael Shifter and Rachel Schwartz, World Politics Review, September 25, 2012.
- "El Salvador Gang Truce Raises Troubling Questions for Region," by Rachel Schwartz, World Politics Review, May 11, 2012.
- Countering Criminal Violence in Central America, by Michael Shifter, Council on Foreign Relations Special Report, April 2012.
- "Central America Moves Toward a Truly Regional Stance on Drugs," by Rachel Schwartz, World Politics Review, March 23, 2012.
- "El Momento de Guatemala," by Michael Shifter, El Colombiano, January 17, 2012.
- "Deportaciones como política migratoria," by Manuel Orozco, Confidencial, January 6, 2012.
- "México, Centroamérica y la política de inmigración de los Estados Unidos," by Manuel Orozco, Confidencial, December 12, 2011.
- "Tendencias migratorias: caso centroamericano," by Manuel Orozco, Confidencial, November 29, 2011.
- "Central America's Security Predicament," by Michael Shifter, Current History, February 1, 2011.