ABOUT | ARTICLES, OP-EDS & PUBLICATIONS |
IN THE PRESS | INTERVIEWS | EVENTS |
The Dialogue’s work on the Central America region examines developments in Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, as well as Mexico, with a focus on democratic governance, security, immigration, drug policy, remittances, education reform, energy integration, press freedom, and trade capacity building. The Dialogue’s Central American Working Group is designed to produce fresh, balanced analyses of the region’s most pressing challenges along with practical proposals to address them, and to keep Washington informed. The group includes a diverse mix of some 30 policy analysts, political and labor leaders, economists, and NGO and business executives.
A new Dialogue initiative on security and migration in Central America and Mexico is developing a joint program with leading research centers in the region on two of the most important challenges their countries now face: (1) the threats posed by escalating crime and violence, and (2) the failure of governments to address the political, social, and security problems emerging from continued illegal migration flows to the United States.
Michael Shifter, President
Peter Hakim, President Emeritus
Manuel Orozco, Senior Associate/Director of Remittances and Development Program
Joan Caivano, Deputy to the President/Director Special Projects
Kimberly Covington, Program Associate
Rachel Schwartz, Program Associate
For more information, please contact Rachel Schwartz at email@example.com
or (202) 463-2572
ARTICLES, OP-EDS, & PUBLICATIONS
- "Organized Crime and Insecurity in Belize," by Julie López, Inter-American Dialogue Working Paper, January 2013.
- Security in Nicaragua: Central America's Exception? by Roberto Cajina, Inter-American Dialogue Working Paper, January 2013. (español)
- Colombia-Nicaragua ICJ Case Tests Region's Crisis Resolution Mechanisms, Michael Shifter and Cameron Combs in World Politics Review, December 5, 2012.
- América Latina y el Caribe: desarrollo, remesas y migración, by Manuel Orozco, October 2012.
- "Totonicapán: A Familiar Tale with Hope for an Unlikely Outcome," by Anita Isaacs and Rachel Schwartz, Americas Quarterly, October 29, 2012.
- "Democracy in Progress: El Salvador's Unfinished Transition," by Michael Shifter and Rachel Schwartz, World Politics Review, September 25, 2012.
- "El Salvador Gang Truce Raises Troubling Questions for Region," by Rachel Schwartz, World Politics Review, May 11, 2012.
MORE PROGRAM ARTICLES & PUBLICATIONS
IN THE PRESS
- Guatemala court overturns genocide conviction against former dictator, Michael Shifter in The Guardian, May 21, 2013.
- Presidente de la CIDH sentencia que la Ley de Amnistía no está vigente en El Salvador, Diego García Sayan in El Faro, May 17, 2013.
- Guatemalan Dictator Efrain Rios Montt Guilty of Genocide, Michael Shifter in The Daily Beast, May 14, 2013.
- Guatemala’s Trial of the Century, Michael Shifter in The Daily Beast, May 6, 2013.
- In Latin America, U.S. Focus Shifts From Drug War to Economy, Michael Shifter in The New York Times, May 4, 2013.
- As Obama visits Mexico, the slippery topic of oil comes up, Michael Shifter in Marketplace, May 2, 2013.
- Drugs Provide No High at Mexico Summit, Michael Shifter in PBS Newshour, May 2, 2013.
- EE.UU. y México, en busca de un balance en la relación, Michael Shifter in BBC Mundo, May 2, 2013.
- No tengo prejuicios por ajuste de Peña: Obama, Peter Hakim in El Universal, May 1, 2013.
- In Mexico Visit, Obama to Pivot From Security to Economy, Michael Shifter in The Wall Street Journal, April 30, 2013.
- Congressional Members' Working Group: President Obama's Visit and the Outlook for US Relations with Mexico and Central America, May 22, 2013.
- A Conversation on President Obama’s Visit to Central America with the Region’s Ambassadors in Washington, May 17, 2013.
- Press briefing: President Obama's Visit to Mexico and Central America, April 29, 2013.
- Panama's Political Outlook: A Conversation with Presidential Candidate Juan Carlos Navarro, April 10, 2013.
- Security and Human Rights in Honduras: A Conversation with Julieta Castellanos, March 7, 2013.
- A Conversation with Fernando Carrera, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Guatemala, February 27, 2013.
- Third Meeting of Initiative on Security and Migration in Central America and Mexico, Managua, Nicaragua, October 25-26, 2012. (report forthcoming)
- Panama: Beyond the Canal, co-sponsored with CSIS, September 14, 2012.
- 25 Years Since the Esquipulas Agreement: Opportunities and Challenges in Central America, co-sponsored with the OAS and Center for International Policy, August 14, 2012.
- CFR Roundtable: Countering Criminal Violence, with Michael Shifter and Assistant Secretary Jose Fernandez, May 2, 2012.
- Journalists at Risk in Central America: What Can Be Done? April 27, 2012.
- Countering Criminal Violence in Central America: US Policy Responses, April 26, 2012.
- Peter Hakim Discusses President Obama's Trip to Mexico, Interview with Peter Hakim in CCTV, May 5, 2013.
- Análisis de la visita de Barack Obama a México y CA, Michael Shifter, Esta Noche, May 2, 2013.
- Visita de Obama a Centroamérica, Interview with Michael Shifter in CNN en español, March 29, 2013.
- "Elecciones en EEUU: no vienen cambios para AL," interview with Michael Shifter, Confidencial, November 1, 2012.
- "Seguridad Ciudadana y Agenda de Cooperación con EEUU," interview with Michael Shifter, Esta Semana, October 28, 2012.
- “Las remesas mejoran el ingreso en los hogares,” interview with Manuel Orozco, Confidencial, October 21, 2012.
- Criminal Violence in Central America, interview with Michael Shifter, Voice of America, May 11, 2012.
- El regreso de Noriega, interview with Michael Shifter, CNN en español, December 11, 2011.
- Cold War Redux? Politics and Crime in Central America, Interview with Michael Shifter, Kojo Nnamdi Show, November 14, 2011.
- Dos retos en la región para EE.UU, Interview with Michael Shifter, Voice of America, November 9, 2011.
- Obama reconocerá a El Salvador como un socio clave en América Central, Interview with Michael Shifter, El Mundo, February 10, 2011.
- El estado de la democracia en Nicaragua, Interview with Michael Shifter, Esta Semana, June 30, 2010.